Monday, September 5, 2011

When you have so much to say...


A week ago, we started our journey here to Guyana. And I haven't shared anything about the trip. And it isn't for a lack of things to say. The trip here was much less difficult that I imagined. We have access to more American (or, mostly British) foods that I anticipated. Our house, from what I understand, will be amazing. My son started his first day at school and loves it. Our fears have been eliminated and we are completely enjoying the warmth of being embraced by a small community and is close knit but gets the coming and the going so there is no essence of being closed to the new guys. 

I almost have too much to say.

But I was cursed with an over active mind. I want to understand the culture and community ways as soon as possible. I want to get an understanding of the dynamics between the three main people groups (Indo-Guyanese, Afro-Guyanese and the Amer-Indians. I want to get involved in the humanitarian efforts of the embassy to make some sort of minor impact on the intense poverty all around me. I want to get to a point where the smells that overwhelm me now become common place. My questions abound: will I be able to accomplish even half of this in the two years we will be here? Will my heart be broken when we go to volunteer at the orphanages? (yes, let it be!) Will I be able to navigate my way around this town of no street signs?

Well, one week down. Let's do this thing! (Goal one: learn to drive on the other side of the road!)

No comments:

Post a Comment